Wednesday 23 June 2010

I Love NASCAR Road Racing!!

I love Sonoma!!


I love the roller coaster ride of uphill climbs, downhill runs, camber changes, big kerbs, sweeping turns, tight hairpins, did I mention big kerbs...


I love that the cars have loads of power and not a lot of tire. I love that they are big heavy cars with (by European standards) only average brakes... and I love that they have 3 pedals, and H-pattern boxes!! I love that they roll a bit, jump over big kerbs, lock up, get loose, push, and are a handful.


I love that NASCAR road racing tends to be a bit physical. I also love that NASCAR road racing follows oval etiquette in that the drivers tend to keep to a groove allowing another other driver to use the other groove, if they are 2 wide... at times... if they feel like it... if its early in a race... unless their names are Montoya or Jeff Gordon or... Jeff Gordon or...


I love that NASCAR has 2 road courses each year. I love that one is the undulating bump and grind roller coaster of Sonoma in California, while the other is the fast, flowing track of Watkins Glen in upstate New York.


I love that Sonoma has been developed with oval style site lines for fans, with its large grandstands surrounding the snake-like tarmac. I love the contrast between this and the more European style setting of Watkins Glen.


I love that each year the road race "ringers" are roped in to show the oval regulars how to turn right. I love that each year they fail. I love that the oval regulars have learnt how to turn right and now look good at it.


I love that the Sprint Cup has two road course races, no more, no less. 

Should one be in the Chase?? I think so!!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think?