Sunday 24 March 2013

Why I Don't "Get" F1

If I was an F1 team or sponsor I might understand why team mates racing each other at the end of a race, for the win, is a bad idea, especially when the team mates in question are Sebastian Vettel and Mark Webber and the team is Red Bull. If I was in charge I wouldn't want to risk them taking each other out... again.
But, I am not an F1 team  or sponsor...

I am a motor racing fan...

The last sentence contains two important words, motor and racing.

Normally I subscribe to the, Vettel is quick out front but useless in traffic, make him work for it and he goes nowhere, put him in the lead and he will bring it home theory.

Today a racing driver arrived at a racing track, his team gave him a racing car and he entered a motor race. What on earth do you expect that man to do, but RACE!!

However it appears the last of those words is not allowed between team mates at Red Bull.., or Mercedes for that matter.

Even the sports organisers and rule makers want the motors... to race. They give the drivers KERS and funny DRS wing thingies to help the drivers... race.

It says something when a podium ceremony is somber because the drivers raced each other, oh and raced well by the way. We saw Webber and Vettel pick different pitstop/tyre strategies and in the end race side by side, hard but fair and clean for the win.

What is wrong with that?

According to David Coulthard Vettel vs Webber was just "jockeying for position". Firstly that man needs a personality transplant. The first two drivers in the race go at it hard for the win with about 10 laps to go and all he can say, in his usual monotone manor is they were "jockying for position." For god sakes get animated man! I am not an F1 fan, and I knew the result of the race before I watched it, that's how much of a fan I am, but even I thought the end was good to watch! When something exciting happens, get excited!

Secondly, yes Vettel ignored a team order... give that man a medal, thank the lord, pat him on the back, halle bleedin' lujah! I hate team orders and love racing and for a change Vettel, a racing driver, at a racing track, in a racing car... went racing!

If F1 or Red Bull don't like racing, that's their problem.

As for Mercedes, Lewis Hamilton and Nico Rosberg, team mates once again, on different strategies, nose to tail, side by side at the end of the race, hard at it for the last step on the podium... er no.

Rosberg was told to be a good little boy and follow your fuel saving, much slower team mate home, and be grateful for it. Hamilton knows that was not his podium place. Shame, Hamilton is a racer, as is Rosberg.

F1 would be a better sport if these racers were allowed to... race!

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think?