Monday 11 July 2011

Falling A Bit Flat

**APPOLOGIES FOR THE LATENESS OF THIS POST - I HAVE BEEN EXPERIENCING INTERNET ACCESS ISSUES**

I watched every lap of the Daytona night race, and have been trying to figure out why I ended the race feeling a bit underwhelmed.

Firstly I thought it was down to the fact that I watched the race live...

Not a particularly odd prospect and not one that would usually leave me feeling disappointed...

Until you bear in mind that the race ended at three thirty in the morning so I was ready for some sleep... but that wasn’t it.

Then I realised...


No slingshot. Not even an attempt. Not even given a thought. Since the COT was introduced into Cup racing we have seen the slingshot, the ability to pass one-on-one on the last lap at Daytona and Talladega, make a comeback. Until this race that is.

I have never minded the two car bump drafting we are currently seeing at the ‘plate tracks, however when it gets to the point where drivers plan in advance who they are going to work with, and stay together until the end without any thought of changing, it has gone a bit too far.

When we hear the pushing drivers saying to their partner “I will push you to the flag”, something’s gone wrong. Help each other, sure, but on the last lap it should be everyman for themselves.

The trouble is if the pushing driver falls off of the front cars bumper they go backwards so quickly that they might have not bothered starting the race in the first place.

It was interesting to see Kyle Petty and Wally Dallenbach try the two car draft in the pre race show. It showed how hard it was and how little the driver behind sees when pushing. It was also interesting to see the Stewart Haas cars in the windtunnel, although I would have liked an hour on this in detail, as I am very interested by the effects of the draft and the bump draft with the latest car.

And so the season rolls on getting ever closer to the Chase.

Next up for me, the British GP from Silverstone...

Speaking of a bit flat...

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think?